|She did it yet again: Britney Spears was the most popular search term on Yahoo for the fourth year in a row – her seventh time topping the list. Forget about current economic worries, Britney Spears economy is worth $110 million to $120 million. Here is Yahoo Top 10 searches for 2008:
1. Britney Spears (Entertainment)
2. WWE (Sports / Entertainment)
3. Barack Obama (Politics)
4. Miley Cyrus (Entertainment)
5. RuneScape (Online Game / Entertainment )
6. Jessica Alba (Entertainment)
7. Naruto (Anime / Entertainment)
8. Lindsay Lohan (Entertainment)
9. Angelina Jolie (Entertainment)
10. American Idol (TV Show /Entertainment)
A closer analysis shows 9 of Yahoo top 10 are ‘entertainment’ heavy – a trend that continues from 2007. Our takeaway for Yahoo audience:
- Yahoo users are primarily entertainment oriented.
- Entertainment is recession-proof.
- Popularity of ‘RuneScape’ – casual games continues to remain popular.
Yahoo have also released Top 10 searches on mobile. With ‘Facebook’ & ‘Myspace’ topping the list – this clearly shows people used search engines on their phones overwhelmingly for one purpose: social networking.
We would wait for Google’s top 10 for 2008.