QR codes used as mobile tagging has started in Japan (2003) and since are implemented in several fields of mobile marketing world wide. As marketing applications their uniqueness stems from their Quick Response orientation which allows customers to access real time information.
The QR code process:
Mobile users, taking a picture of the code or reading it with their cameras, trigger an action leading to content download, a message or link.
QR Codes – Trends Review:
QR codes are offering endless marketing opportunities. Today – with the remarkable growth of mobile and smart phones – this potential can be easily implemented.
Taking advantage of local targeting, mobile users (provided with a good motivation) can be directed to your brand ads and messages. You can bring your targets to a remarkable real time action, engaging with the brand and leading them to purchase. Moreover, QR codes embedded on packaged goods can provide information previously limited by space (ingredients, features, recommendations etc.) As such it is an excellent real time marketing tool for retail.
December 2005: Northwest Airlines advertising campaign (Tokyo’s streets and subways)
June 2008: Adidas
November 2008: Pepsi Max
May 2009: Coca-Cola Japan QR Code promotion (at vending machines)
June 2009: Speed Stick
Many games are using the QR codes to achieve a connection between location and information (location based games). In this direction, many urban games are being developed (for example: QR-Kill)
- CSI New York featured QR code technology in the plot.
- Fox Searchlight Pictures were using QR Codes in its poster campaign for the about to be released ‘Notorious’
- The Pet Shop Boys featured QR codes embedded in their “Integral” video.
- iCandy – QR codes application that connects you to iTunes, Amazon, or Rhapsody. With iCandy bands can now create merchandise (flyers, t-shirts, cards) which link directly to bands homepage or to their music.
- QR Code posters advertising UK dance music producer Grum are appearing all over North London.
- Instant Digital Window Shopping from Ralph Lauren Rugby
- The Lendorff Kaywa QR scarf
- SuitYourself – a fashion shopping application
The local information demand holds a promise for tourist initiatives. Have a look at Japan’s & Paris tourist maps, American Airlines boarding passes, playing cards as an aid for tourists in planning their tour (Japan).
QR codes technology was already adopted for education purposes as teaching the periodic table of chemical elements, acquaintance with materials etc.
TrendsSpotting believes that QR codes, as any other technology to trigger information solutions for real time demand, will become popular and mainstream as the traditional bar code. Brands investigating this potential will learn the importance of location based needs and real time information. Here, sky is the limit.