1. Social media is a global phenomenon happening in all markets regardless of wider economic, social and cultural development.
2. Asian markets (not including Japan) are leading in terms of participation, creating more content than any other region
3. All social media platforms have grown significantly over the three Waves: Video Clips are the quickest growing platform, up from 31% penetration in Wave 1 to 83% in Wave 3
4. Social Networks: 57% have joined a Social Network, making it the number one platform for creating and sharing content: 55% of users have uploaded photos, 22% of users have uploaded videos
5. The widget economy – 23% of social network users have installed an application – 18% of bloggers have installed applications in their blog templates
6. Blogs are a mainstream media world-wide and a collective rival to traditional media (184m bloggers world-wide, China has the largest blogging community in the world with 42m bloggers) – 73% have read a blog, 45% have started a blog
7. Social media has strong impacts over brand’s reputation – 34% post opinions about products and brands on their blog – 36% think more positively about companies that have blogs
Social media by waves: Universal McCann survey:
- While the trends are known and frequently discussed, the survey presents a clear picture of the successful penetration of social media platforms worldwide, mainly blogs and social networks, including video and music downloads. As those trends are already highly adapted world wide, alternative participatory habits as podcasts and RSS can be predicted (those do show a steady rise, but yet to be adopted by the mainstream users).
- Interestingly, comments on news websites show almost no increase – new techniques to offer real motivation sets are necessary to bring this important participatory behavior to a rise.
- Here comes China – participatory rates are high in all social medias (what’s wrong with Japan??)
More stats from the survey? participatory rates by social media platform, countries, time…
- 56% report blogging is a good way to express yourself
- 36% think more positively about companies that have blogs
- 33% have a favorite blog they read regularly
- 32% trust bloggers’ opinions on products and services
- 31% see blogging as an important way to socialize with friends
B. Reading blogs: – 77% Read blogs – up 11% on Wave 2
C. Writing Blogs: – 45% have started a blog, up 14% – 61% post photos, 29% post videos, 24% upload music – 34% write about their opinions on products and brands.
2. Social networks still on rise:
- Global penetration has increased significantly: Wave 3 is up to 58% (an increase of 21%). Estimated 272m users world-wide.
- Emerging markets with high emigration lead the way – Philippines 83%, Hungary 80%, Poland 77%, Mexico 76% • UK hit by the Facebook factor (Usage up 32%)
- US saturated as growth stalls at 41% • Brazil has the most active users (56% manage their profile every day)
- Users are posting variety of content – 55% uploaded photos – 21% installed applications – 23% uploaded video • Social Networks becoming social utilities for managing peer to peer relationships: 74% use them to message friends
3. Photo sharing
- The leading markets are Asian and Latin American, Philippines leads the way with 86%. Japan on the other hand shuns photos (just 21% uploaded).
- Large numbers of consumers contributing on a very frequent basis 16% upload everyday: Brazil and Asia more frequent than the UK or US (34% upload everyday)
4. Video Sharing:
Similar pattern to photo sharing Brazil leads on 68%, Asian countries dominate (not including Japan)
- Significant variation in involvement (Hungary 16% < Brazil 68%).
- High frequency of involvement: 20% are uploading every day
5. Watching video clips:
- Growth is universal across all countries (31% to 82% global reach seen in all markets)
- Lowest difference between markets of any social media platform (Range 63% – 99%) Very high frequency medium: 71% weekly reach
6. Downloading podcasts
- Growth massive between Waves 2 and 3 (from 21% to 49% world-wide).
- China is the world’s biggest podcast market (74% use, with an estimated 45m users) Actively involved medium: 18% listen and download everyday
7. RSS subscriptions
- Huge growth from Wave 2 to Wave 3 (15% to 38% worldwide)
- BRIC markets lead: Russia, Brazil and China lead the way, all 50% plus adoption.
- Huge variations in adoption (Hungary 15% < Russia 57%)
Universal McCann Wave 3 survey was conducted on 17,000 internet users in 29 countries and was completed in March 2008.